Jun 1, 2015

Shabby Chic/ Vintage body form.

Hello Everyone.
There are two staple media I often use in my creations; 1)Stitching and 2)Lace.
This of course lends itself towards feminine makes and I have to acknowledge that I do like pretty things, even though I also like to get down and dirty with mixed media I try to use colour; too much at times. I am not a lover of industrial or grunge.
Having explained my preferences you will now not be surprised to learn that Shabby Chic is a favourite genre, so it was with a feeling of eager enthusiasm when I read Astrids theme for this months Challenge at Country View Crafts.

I have two daughters that are very different, they have the same parents so 50/50 from the gene family and yet surprisingly in many ways opposite. Why am I digressing into genes and children when I should be talking about my card.  Let me explain, I love this genre I have already mentioned this and I tend to enthuse about it probably to the point of annoyance. On showing this card to my eldest who does not share the same active interest, she states, 'it's a bit messy', in truth she finds much of my creations messy, but I understand her feelings, she is a quiet reserved person so I feel I must be the one to explain the complexities of layering with different media to create interest etc etc.

Next the show and tell to the youngest and the child who is extrovert, vivacious and has the Fine Art degree with honours, not surprising then that she acknowledges the form and the design along with the texture. Faith is restored and a state of emotional balance is reclaimed within me.
 Why have I told you all of this, well I thought it would be a change from step by steps and a little snapshot of a day in the life of 'moi'

Here is the card. 
The Body form sits on a little piece of burlap which I then covered with fine lace and stitched in place.
The body form is covered with tissue serviette, and a random piece of lace for an off the shoulder look.

Altered a metal embellishment, stamping on the Bg layer.
 The glamour

 
and the Bling.

Complete.
I think this has a timeless feel.
Apologies for the long post, on times I need to engage with words even if it is totally inapplicable to the topic.

Challenges that I am entering this card are:
That Craft Place-Shabby Chic 
Mixed Media World-VINTAGE
Vintage Utfordring - Challenge 103-Font/Script
Crafty Cardmakers-Stitching.

   More inspiration HERE.
Have a great week.
Smiles:)
Sue

19 comments:

Rosemary said...

this is the quintessential "Sue" card... full of lovely shabby chic and mixed media details! always enjoy "seeing" little glimpses into your life Sue! hugs and smiles!

Astrid Maclean said...

Oh this is such a beautiful, beautiful card! The addition of the fabric and the lace with the dress form as the central focal point was such a brilliant choice for the theme and I adore the soft colours, shabby chic perfection for sure, love this!!

Greta said...

Love, love, love this post, my friend! As you know well, we have very different styles but I appreciate & admire nearly every project you make. Today's however, has shot to the top of my "Favorites by Sue" list! I have to say, where your daughter sees "messy" in relation to this project baffles me! This is a treasure!

Brenda Brown said...

I love the femininity and soft shabby appeal to your gorgeous card Sue. You have included some beautiful layers and the dress form certainly is a timeless piece to use. Isn't it strange how our children can be so different when they have had such similar experiences whilst growing up together.
Hope you are well.
hugs Brenda xxx

Nikki Acton said...

Beautiful Sue! Not messy in my opinion, lol! But that is art... What one person loves another will not, no rights, no wrongs. For me it is a feminine and elegant creation, wonderfully composed without using overly girly colours! Nxxxx

Angela Radford said...

Gorgeous Sue. You've got me wanting to do some sewing myself. Don't know how anyone could think this is messy! we can get lots more messy than this Lol! as you know!!!
Happy crafting, Angela xXx

JackieP Neal said...

Absolutely beautiful Sue!! And I so love that you shared about your children and their preferences as well as yours! Funny, how two can be so different-I know, I also have two sons the same! heehee
Be assured that even messy art pieces are gorgeous-especially to other artists!! xo

Heather Jacob said...

absolutely exquisite creation , loving the earthy colors and the design and texture ... love it all oxox

Sally Dodger said...

A beautiful card Sue. I love your use of the burlap and lace and the bodyform looks great with the tissue. Gorgeous embellishments and a wonderful vintage feel. Thanks for sharing with us at Crafty Cardmakers and more. Sally.x.

Samra Leshinski said...

Gorgeous!!! Love the dress form and the design surrounding it :) I am your new follower :)

Anita Houston said...

I'm the worst...haven't visited in a while, but just saw you somewhere and decided to come see what you've been up to. LOVE the dressform here and the shabbiness of it all. Hope you are doing super well!!!

crafty said...

Love the thoughts about your girls so very true in many families! Thanks for sharing your lovely card at Crafty Cardmakers and More. Mary

Jytte said...

Lovely, lovely card!!

Thank you for joining us at Vintageutfordring.

Jytte, DT :)

Dawn Turley said...

Rosie expressed it perfectly Sue... quintessential "Sue" A beautiful card.

Ingrid Kristina V said...

This is wonderful! Love the lace! Thank you for entering our challenge at Mixed Media World! Ingrid x

Sue U said...

Oh wow! This is simply stunning!! Thanks for joining with our Real or Faux Stitching challenge at Crafty Cardmakers and More, good luck and hope to see you again soon

Hugs, Sue xx

Kay Dalton said...

just lovely, beautiful vintage feel, thanks for joining us at That Craft Place hugs, kay

Deb~Paxton Valley Folk Art said...

Beautiful card Sue, wonderful layers and textures and I have to agree with your youngest daughter, messy is good!!

Lynn Price said...

Hi, Sue - loved reading this post and learning more about you! Am looking at your piece for guidance for shabby chic in hopes I can join the current CountryView challenge - I love looking at this genre, but not sure I can replicate it, so thank you for the component step outs! I also love the sewing form.... I've the die but have not used it yet. Thank you for the inspiration! xx Lynn