May 11, 2015

The Tea Bag Vintage Garden.

Hello Everyone,
If you are inclined towards Mixed Media then you will want to participate in the inaugural Challenge of Anything But Cute.  
The Design Team has provided wonderful inspiration  hopefully you newbies do not find it too intimidating.
I know when I first ventured into Mixed Media I held back, even though I was itching to participate; the fear of failure and lack of confidence was ever present in the beginning, however, I did enter the Challenges and although I was not always a winner I did receive some positive comments on my work, and this was enough of an encouragement.
So if you are cogitating at the moment, make something and enter these interesting Challenges, you will feel very pleased with yourself once it is done.


 The Theme for the Challenge at Anything But Cute- Vintage Garden
First take note of the background, I have used old dried up Tea bags. (don't you think it looks like bark?) I glued them together to make this odd shape, I stamped and wet embossed on top.

This is a wall hanging, and you are going to be very unhappy with me as I have no step by step, I did not want to stop in case I lost my way, sometimes the creative process takes precedent over everything else.
 I will go through the steps for you, there is nothing too difficult involved.
I picked out some fibres, laces, trims, seed beads,organza, and stitched randomly in place.

The little flowers were also cut from Tea Bags using the TH Tattered Florals die cut.
 I burnt the edges of the Tea Bags.

My main flower is made from organza which I first stitched with metallic thread then diecut.

The butterfly fussy cut out of inked cardstock, and embellished with a glass bead and a metal antennae. You can see the embossing on the Bg; I used mustard seed distress embossing powder.

And there you have it my Vintage Garden.
I have not decided how to hang this creation as yet, here it is on a dark Bg.

Have a great week, and thanks for visiting.
Smiles:)
Sue

20 comments:

Pawsitively Creative said...

The tea bag background does look like bark! Genius use and way to recycle! I love your tea bag flowers as well, burning the edges is a gray idea and your main flower is amazeballs! So intricate and detailed.
I know exactly what you mean about entering challenges. I was so very nervous my first time, I didn't win but the positive feedback was awesome! Thank you for giving words of encouragement to us all.

Thank you for entering our first challenge, "Vintage Garden", at Anything But Cute! Hugz! ~Niki

Greta said...

Absolutely amazing creation, Sue! I would never have thought to use teabags like this--so creative!

Samra Leshinski said...

Great work of art Sue!!! Love the materials you used and such creative way to put everything together! Thank you for joining our challenge at Anything But Cute!
Samra DT

Lucyna Marynowska said...

You are incredibly creative Sue!Stunning piece!

Rosemary said...

never (EVER!!) would have thought to use dried up tea bags to create a background, but then, again, I'm not nearly as creative as you are, Sue! your mixed media is GORGEOUS... dried up tea bags have never looked so good! hugs & smiles!

Amanda said...

Some fabulous mixed media work here creating a vintage feel. Thanks for sharing with us at MMW this month.
Love
Amanda

Lynn Price said...

How fun, Sue!! Love all the textures in this little piece.....and how you layered it all. That cream background really shows the details of the tea bags/pieces thereof! Very cool! xx Lynn

Vintagehandmade said...

Amazing piece of art, Sue! I love hour clever idea to use tea bags in such a creative way and I love your beautiful flowers! Well done!
Thank you so much for joining us at Anything But Cute for our Vintage Garden challenge!
Branka DT

Cec said...

This is outstanding. I love the use of the tea bags to create "bark" but I especially love the use of all the fibres. This is so gorgeously vintage. Thanks for joining us at Anything But Cute.
Hugs!
Cec

Sara Barker said...

Sue,
I have to say it is you who is inspiring us! What a great and creative use of materials we rarely see on these challenges! I have a stash of used coffee filters I have been saving for a special project, and you have really inspired me! I love this take on our Vintage Garden challenge at Anything But Cute and am so glad you joined us. Hugs! Sara Emily PS I still get nervous about entering any challenge--I do not yet think I have mastered any one style or media. But the process of trying is so darn fun!

Lys Scrap said...

Great work on these tea bags! I love how they become your vintage garden! Very inventive!

Pamellia Johnson said...

Wow Sue, I am completely blown away by this!! What an outstanding project and I just love the unconventional products you have used! Thank you so much for your kind words and for the encouragement to new mixed media artists!! It's always nerve-racking to display your projects in public, especially when you are trying something new, but it can also be so much fun just to try!

Thank you so much for joining us at Anything But Cute for our 'Vintage Garden' challenge! Hugs, Pamellia DT :)

butterfly said...

What a stunning piece of work, Sue - amazing fabric work - the textures are to die for, and I love the rustic natural feel of the whole thing. Beautiful texty butterfly wings too!
Alison xx
Sorry to have been missing for so long - but I'm looking forward to a quick browse through what else you've been up to!

Meihsia Liu said...

Wow...Sue, this is such gorgeous artwork! I love the beautiful colors and great fabric layers. Wonderful design! :)

Jennie Atkinson said...

Fabulous !!!!!!

Chrissy said...

OUTSTANDING..love the colours and textures Sue...beautiful work.

luv CHRISSYxx

Ingrid Kristina V said...

Oh my! So much goodness here! I love using fabric and fibers and this is fabulous! Thank you for joining our challenge at Mixed Media World! Ingrid x

JackieP Neal said...

OMGosh- this is brilliant Sue!! I am in love with all of your textured layers! Gorgeous is an understatement!Thank you so much for sharing! xo

Lou Sims said...

WOW, stunning project and adore the tactile texture you have created. Many thanks for joining in with our "anything goes" challenge over at Love to Create. Lou (DT)

Angela Radford said...

Hi Sue, thanks for the visit to mine, pleased you liked my lady. I love the work you've done with the tea bags, it's a great project. Happy crafting, Angela xXx