Mar 6, 2015

A is for Angel and Attitude

Hello Everyone.
I have an Angel with attitude, in the form of a real person; my  precious also known as Scarlett (Gd). She is now 6years old,  an only child and a proper madam.
But she is a very lucky child as she is loved unconditionally.
When I was constructing this piece of mixed media I was thinking of her all the time.


This is not a representation of how she looks, however the hands on the hips and the pursed lips have more than a slight resemblance I must confess.
 Over on the mixed media blog -'The Mirror Crack'd.'  the Challenge is 'Wings',
 usually when this is set as a theme, it is mainly butterflies or some sort of flying object that is seen.
I wanted to go a different route and make a conceptual doll, this was my opportunity.

Let me take you through the steps....

This originally was a chipboard flourish that I cut in half, painted, stamped and added crackle accents.

Next a chipboard Tag off a purchased garment.
Applied Black gesso and a light wash of paint and then dry embossed .
 A couple coats of Glaze to add depth.

Second Tag (body) I applied Alcohol Inks.
Stamped with  Black Archival Ink.
Frayed piece of muslin, painted and stamped.
Diecut a frame from corrugated card-stock.
Strips of painted paper to make the beads.
Threaded them through with a ribbon to make arms and legs.
I added some glass and wooden beads as well.
( No knobbly knees here !)
I drew the face freehand, and I do not think I will do this again, this was at least my 10th attempt, note there are no pics of the process as I was beyond frustrated... almost defeated; which is not in my vocabulary. I settled on this version and lived with it, even though she is a bit askew.
Top Tip:  Add Metal elements to entice the onlooker to focus some place other than the face!
 More metal and media. 

 But I always have fun!


I am entering this little one into- Simon Says Wednesday Challenge: Special Lady/Girly.

If you would like to join in this Challenge at TMC, just click here.
My teamies of course have projects to delight the senses that you can view as well.
We would love you to join in this month with us, just remember no cards, but anything else is acceptable.

Thanks for the visit,
 Smiles:)
Sue

14 comments:

die amelie said...

Oh, I love that there's a real person behind your beautiful angel, Sue.
And I am sure an angel she is!

There's a magic to your creation I really adore! Wonderful!

Hugs,
Claudia x

Shilpa Nagaonkar said...

I am in Aww to see your beautiful Doll. Its stunning mixed media piece. Beautiful textured and crackle layers. Brilliant imagination to use chip flourishes for hands and beads for legs.
And how lovely you were thinking about your grand daughter while making this :) She would love this gift.
And I liked your tip to add metal pieces to draw attention somewhere. I am not a good sketcher, so I can use your tip :)

Elaine aka Ellapu said...

so funky and such alot of gorgeous textures and colours - love it xx

Rosemary said...

oh goodness...scarlett is 6??? time flies, doesn't it?? I love this beautiful piece of mixed media, sue! it is a sterling example of everything that you do so well (and something I don't do very well, lol!!). and you know what... i absolutely love the face that you drew freehand... the quirkiness fits perfectly into the overall design!! you always inspire... hugs & smiles!

Angela Radford said...

Hi Sue, such imagination! Love your little dolly. I adore her expression, she has a very knowing look. Have a great week, Angela x

Virginia Lu said...

This truly is a work of art! I love the stenciled background and vibrant colors! GREAT job on using the alcohol inks and muslin. So glad that you join the fun over Simon Says Stamp Wednesday “Special Lady/Girly” Challenge!

Lucyna Marynowska said...

What can one say apart from WOW and gorgeous - love it!
Love to Scarlett

Greta said...

I am speechless, Sue! Totally amazing project & you made me laugh! I love the picture of you & precious. Wishing you a happy weekend!

Greta said...

I am speechless, Sue! Totally amazing project & you made me laugh! I love the picture of you & precious. Wishing you a happy weekend!

Jan Hill said...

Hi this little doll made me laugh! I loved her wry face, so cute, I can picture your granddaughter pursing her lips. I love the way you used so many different textures. I am also a fan of paper beads.
Hugs Jan a Hill x

Lisa M said...

Hahaha....LOL Onion! Your top tip had me giggling. I'm so happy right now I could pop. This is such a great endeavor full of amazing colors, techniques and textures and despite what you think, your hand drawn face is perfect. Loved everything about this post and the sentiment and the most wonderful wings!
Happy Birthday to Scarlett too :)
hugs,
Quirks

butterfly said...

Just brilliant - she's a complete delight - so inventive, full of textures and fabulous details - and the words are perfect!
Alison xx

Brenda Brown said...

Scarlet is 6?????? Oh my gosh where are the years going? Love this interpretation of her, I recognise the hands on hips and pursed lips too with my two. You have made a fabulous constructed image using so many wonderful creative ideas. xxx

sheila 77 said...

I am overcome by your use of all these fantastic techniques. And in the end what an unusual and fascinating finish, I love it. She has a very sweet face, amusing how and why you added the metal elements.
I like how you cut the frame from corrugated cardboard and made the beads to make the arms and legs.
It's all so clever.