Feb 6, 2015

A substrate using Tissue Paper.

Hello Everyone,
I have been around long enough for you all to know that I am crazy about texture, I find any technique that creates 'lumps' and 'bumps' or relates a tactile quality then you will find me looking at the screen salivating profusely over the keyboard; I literally drool......
So naturally I am always experimenting to obtain the said effect; sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

The days when I decide to be creative with mixed media, I place myself in the Garage where I have set up a work bench, as like all people who believe they are Artists it can get real messy once the brush finds the paint, or in my case the hands.
Common sense would tell me to where gloves!

So here I am after another session in the Garage altering this Book cover, 'Cover' being the apropos word, it did get a little chaotic and messy, but we are all cleaned up again... well the work bench is tidy, not so my hands they will take a little longer.

This month at The Miror Crack'd  the challenge is: Album/ Journal Cover.

Tissue Paper Technique for my substrate.
Let me take you through the process on how I obtained the texture.

First cover with a thin layer of Gesso.

Begin by applying the Tissue in workable pieces onto the dried gesso with Mod Podge.
Start in the centre and work out.

Once it is covered let it dry.

Apply White Acrylic Paint

Make sure you get into all the crevices and folds.
 Let this dry.

Start the first layer adding more texture; plastic netting and Paint.

Second layer.

Blending.

More Paints and Metallics.

Applying the treasure Gold with my fingers!



Glazing liquid applied to seal.

Preparing the frame- Gesso

-Paint

-Crackle
Butterfly coloured with Alcohol Inks.

Placed this on a Prima Label.

Last view close up.
Remember you can click on any pic for a closer view.

If you are still with me you have to agree that the tissue paper makes wonderful texture.
Also if this inspires you then why not join in this months Challenge at The Mirror Crack'd. 
 Pop over to see what my fellow teamies have created for you to salivate over.

Have a great day,
Smiles:)
Sue




14 comments:

Shilpa Nagaonkar said...

Stunning texture and love those rich colors !! I love to read your journal cover making process, Sue!
Very inspiring :)

Lisa M said...

Have I told you lately how much more interesting you make the world? Well you do! This is wonderful fun and makes me happy.
Q

Lucyna Marynowska said...

What a beautiful background you created - love your textures!

Kerstin F. said...

very creative and beautiful!!

Elaine aka Ellapu said...

Love the colours and texture - beautiful hun xx

Angela Radford said...

Hi Sue, gorgeous texture, love it, love it, love it. Happy crafting from your crafty friend, Angela x

Greta said...

What a fun way to get texture--beautiful background & project, Sue!

butterfly said...

Scrumptious texture, and the layers of colour add really exciting depth. Love that crackly frame too.
Alison xx

Rosemary said...

love when you show all the steps in your process, sue! the book cover is beyond amazing!

Rita Marie said...

Sue, this reminds me of a cover to a beautiful fantasy story. I think a beautiful princess lives inside. I absolutely love it! :) xo

crafty creations said...

Wow Sue this is absolutely stunning all that wonderful texture = brilliantly constructed

Maggie said...

Gorgeous book cover great textures and colour love it.

MaggieH

Vintagehandmade said...

Stunning book cover! Great texture and awesome colors! I love this :)
Branka xoxo

Deb~Paxton Valley Folk Art said...

What amazing texture Sue, an absolutely stunning journal cover! Thanks so much for sharing your techniques and inspiration.