Jan 6, 2015

A canvas using Bister.

Hello Everyone,
The first Challenge this Year at The Mirror Crack'd is 'STENCILS'.  I hope you can join in with us this month.
I would like to enter:
 :The Mixed Media Monthly Challenge -Something New for the New Year.
 :Simon Says Monday Challenge- Make new friends but keep the old. ( Bister is the new, cuttlebug postage die cuts are the old.)
: Darnell's NBUS Challenge-Anything Goes.

Bister Ink is not easy to work with, but with a little practice and the right card stock you can obtain wonderful results for Bg's.
If you are an Artist that likes precision then this product is probably not for you, however if you are like me and love the unexpected and when it does come together, then I encourage you to purchase some colours.


This is how the ink comes, it looks like embossing powder, if you missed my last post all the details are (here) on working with this product.
I sprinkled the colours randomly on my cardstock, then spritzed with water.

When it was dry, (I did not use a heat gun) I applied texture paste through a Stencil to make a border.
First coat of paint (metallic Gold) on the Border .
 Applied some stencils using White paint.
Adding the embellishments and elements.
Please click on pics for detail views.
The metal charms are altered with paints
An eclectic mix of media.

I finished by matting onto patterned paper then onto the canvas, which was edged with Black paint.



I am not sure how this product will work directly onto canvas, I will have to experiment a little more.
Hop over to the Blog at TMC and see what my other teamies have created with stencils..
Have a good Day, 
Smiles:)
Sue.

18 comments:

Angela Radford said...

Love this technique Sue, great way to colour the background. They look a lot like Brusho dyes that we have in the UK. They have only been popular with crafters for a short time but I used them years ago with fabrics when I was teaching, sometimes in the powder form and sometimes diluted with water. Thanks for the visit, I will go over again and have a look at Brendas' thing. I had noticed it but just been a bit busy, family things Lol!
Have a great week, Angela x

Mona Pendleton said...

Wow Susan! What a gorgeous work of art! Love the inky background and all the stenciled detail! Stunning and inspiring!

Greta said...

You are so talented, Sue--what a gorgeous, artistic project! Glad you had a good trip & are back home. Look forward to seeing more pictures from your trip.

Sara Barker said...

Sue, what a beautifully done canvas! I love that background, and think I may just have to look into those inks! Great idea on how to use the stencils and paste as a framed border! Great use of the eclectic mix of embellishments and how you've embellished THEM! Love everything about this piece!

Lucyna Marynowska said...

Breathtaking canvas!
Love it!

Shilpa Nagaonkar said...

Gorgeous canvas, Sue!!

Rachel said...

beautiful canvas! i have never heard of blister inks before but they look fabulous! Thank you so much for playing with the Mixed Media Monthly Challenge!
-Rachel
rwkrafts.com

Donna B. said...

Gorgeous canvas. Love how you made the frame with the stencil. Thanks for joining us at The Mixed Media Monthly Challenge.

Lynn K said...

Awesome canvas and I LOVE the technique you used! Will have to look into these Bister
Inks!! Thanks for joining us in this month's Mixed Media Monthly Challenge!

Karen Crossen said...

Amazing!! I love the unexpected especially when it turns out this lovely! I also love the white stencils and all the layers you added!! i just keep looking at all the details!! Thank you so much for playing along with us in Mixed Media Monthly Challenge!

My Card Attic: Hazel said...

Such a lot of work has gone into this piece, a work of art! Hazel x

Sandra said...

Gorgeous piece! Love the stunning background and all the elements you've added! Thank you so much for joining us at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge. Hugs, Sandra

Becca Cruger said...

Wow! All of the texture is here absolutely fabulous! Layers upon layers of mixed media loveliness.

Jenni Mills said...

so many amazing layers!

Darnell J Knauss said...

You are a magician with the Bisters, Sue! I recently got Brushos, but I haven't had a play yet. I think they are similar in that there are unexpected results, which sounds like so much fun to me! But then you take your work of art places mine would never see, lol! This creation is positively stunning through and through and layer upon layer! You should be really proud of it!! Thank you so much for playing in my NBUS Challenge #3!! Hugs, Darnell

Dee Adams said...

Love the background and each amazing layer. thank you for your lovely comments on my butterfly Cheers Dee x

Melanie said...

This is beautiful. Thanks for joining the Mixed Media Monthly Challenge!

Anneke said...

I love your work. Love the structure on the background.
I became a follower. Thanks for inspiring me Anneke.
www.annekescardart.blogspot.com