Nov 6, 2014

What you make with buttons.

Hello Everyone,
It is another Challenge at The Mirror Crack'd and this month we want you to make a Christmas decoration, now I make a different ornament every year for Precious, who has just turned 6 yrs. Some of you know that this is a pet name, her birth name is far more pertinent to her character; Scarlett.
 But to me she is my 'Precious.'

So with her in mind I made a little tree out of painted buttons.


The first stage in this construction was to paint up the buttons and wooden cotton reel.
I covered them in Gesso as they were all different, and then I painted them in fresco paints and iridescent Gold.
Using a glue gun I stacked them, I decided to add burlap as a different texture.
Nearly there...can you hear my sigh, I dislike the glue gun intensely as the strands drive me nuts!!!!!
I wanted a large star as that is what she is to me...huge in my life.

To complete the look I added some glitter on the burlap, she loves glitter.
This is going to be perfect for hanging on her little tree with all the others I have made her since she was born.
I hope this simple little project will inspire you to make a decoration for someone special in your life...put a smile on their face as it is so rewarding to see see their reaction.
And then enter it into the Challenge: Here.

I am on a little break for 6weeks, I will try to pop in on times for a visit, while I freeze my but off in the UK visiting family .

Smiles:)
Sue

8 comments:

Merethe Arstein said...

Hi Sue. Nice to see what you other teamies make and this is a great idea of using the buttons... Learning new stuff all the time... Take care, and dont freeze the but to much :)

Hugs Ma :)
TMC dt

Lucyna Marynowska said...

I love your tree ornament so much that I've decided to do the same for my granddaughter.
Keep warm:)

Angela Radford said...

I just so love this, it's a brilliant idea. Happy crafting, Angela x

Shilpa Nagaonkar said...

Pretty ornament, Sue...very innovative! Colors and texture are lovely :)

Lisa M said...

I just woke up and started my morning at your blog and I'm already smiling from ear to ear. :) Ohhhhh how much I love this ornament!! I can tell by the description how happy this made you to make it for your precious granddaughter (minus those dang glue gun remnants). The huge star is completely PERFECT! !
You are a creative muse for me. You make me want to truly see art in a whole new way! Thank you so much for the most WONDERFUL comments you've left me lately and for the sweet comment on Serendipity. I'll miss you while you're gone but have a wonderful time and cuddle lots for warmth!! Hugs to you Onion,
Quirks

Lisa M said...

Also, would like to apologize that I didn't comment on these earlier, but your last two posts didn't show up on my feed. :( I still see your post for the Christmas tree on my sidebar. I don't know what's glitching, but I don't like it!!

Greta said...

Hi Sue, Finally catching up on your blog. I would love to have seen the look on Precious's face when she got this ornament! Oh what a gorgeous, creative tree! You've inspired me, my friend!

Rosemary said...

good grief... what a cute little ornament, sue! I bet Scarlett just loved it!!