Jul 14, 2014

The Potent Poppy

Hello Everyone,
The Poppy is the symbol of Morpheus; the Greek god of dreams, uncanny then that it has narcotic properties.  If you have ever seen a poppy in its process of growth, you've observed just before blooming, the bud hangs its head - heavy with the promise of blossom. In fact, the cocooned bud seems to droop in somnolence, as if enchanted with floral dreams.  
Poppies come in many colours but it is the Red flower that is electric and aflame with vitality
It's not just any red, but a staggering, shockingly vibrant red. 
I have tried to relate this ebullience on my card.

'
The Flower is the Penny Black Poppy so it is appropriate that I enter this creation into their Saturday Challenge: Buttons and Bows.
My bow is made from twine with a wooden button attached.
I stamped the Poppy twice and coloured up with watercolours, then fussy cut the centre petal of the second one and 3d it with a pop up square.

I am also entering the Stamping Sensations July challenge - Summer Blooms.

Also the good news is that Rob returns to work tomorrow he is feeling great. I survived the month he has been home, I will be pleased to return to my crafting without interruptions  every 20mins!
Have a great week,
Smiles:)
Sue


 





20 comments:

Astrid Maclean said...

Stunning card Sue and a really interesting read! Love how you did and coloured the poppy! Enjoy your un interrupted crafting time when it comes!

Greta said...

You captured the essence of the poppy so wonderfully, Sue! I adore this card, my friend! So glad Rob is ready to return to work--tell him I said hi.

Brenda Brown said...

This is pure delight Sue, a stunning Poppy in its beautiful red colours on a gorgeous background. I love the simple bow and bead to adorn it. Great job. Good luck to Rob going back to work and have fun in your prolonged craft room spells this week xx

Doreen said...

This is gorgeous,fab poppy and colours.xxx

Stamps and Paper said...

Beautiful card Sue and your colouring is amazing

Anne

brenda said...

Beautiful creation Sue, Poppies are my fav wild flower and I never tire of seeing them on such lovely creations and as you say the symbolic meaning is a little ironic given their properties.

Thanks so much for sharing with us at Stamping Sensations challenge.

B x

butterfly said...

That's a really stunning poppy, Sue - and I love that text in the background - glorious card!
Alison xx

Ingrid Kristina V said...

Hi Sue! Beautiful card. Loving the colours, beautifully designed! Ingrid x

Rosemary said...

hello Sue... the poppy is absolutely gorgeous and I just love how you chose to keep things rather simple to let its beauty shine! so glad to hear that Rob is well and back to work! hugs!

Vada said...

Stunning Card Sue, I love Penny Black Stamps. And you have captured the heart and soul of the poppy! Hugs Vada

Ira Huberts said...

Your poppy looks amazing Sue, love the shades of red, so pretty! You have made this pretty flower look so alive! Hugs, Ira x
Ira’s Crea Corner

Evelyn S. said...

I love poppies of all shapes and colors ... am working on developing a space for poppies in my flower bed. This is wonderful, Sue. I might have to order that stamp....although I have a great number of poppy stamps already.

Isla said...

A really beautiful card Sue. Love the light and shade in your colouring. Think I need that poppy stamp :)

Mary J said...

I love this, Sue! You've created another original piece of art even with its simplicity!

Dawn Turley said...

Beautiful card Sue. A stunning colour of red. So glad Rob is well enough for work again.

Lisa M said...

Incredible the way you describe items. After reading it, I nearly forgot you were talking about a flower...it took on quite a mysterious magical aura. I never knew that much about Poppies before, other than the seeds are magnificent on bagels. I can't fathom this smeared with cream cheese, but seeing how you've honored its beauty on this card, it sets me back. Beautifully crafted!! Enjoy your uninterrupted crafty solace.
Quirks :)

Martina2801 said...

Wow - this is very impressive.
Stunning work. Love your creation!

Evelyn S. said...

This is an outstanding creation with that poppy, Sue! I have so many poppy stamps that I don't even use, but I've been so tempted by this particular one. Your card is so dramatic.

Tracy said...

Gorgeous creation, thanks for joining Stamping Sensations, good luck.
Happy crafting
Tracy x

Helen said...

Beautiful card - love the vintage feel!
Thanks for playing at the Penny Black Saturday Challenge!
Helen x