Jun 23, 2013

The Chevron!


The Chevron, is a repeated pattern of inverted V shapes that seemingly connect along a straight line.

Hello Everyone,
Here I am again with another chapter in the progress of stimulation and fostering the art of motivation. It is the 5th Challenge of Onion, Quirks and Mitza Pitza and this week it is ''To sew a Chevron Pattern''
I took on this Challenge in a figurative sense, when I designed my card.

I pulled on my quilting experience and made up the pattern, using three different papers of the same tonal qualities.
Here is how I made my Chevron pattern.











 Cut three pieces of  paper into strips of equal size and place them in repeated rows.


Start gluing them down on some paper until you have a size want. 
Make another one -Mirror image.


 

Start cutting at a 45 degree angle, making sure to cut your second piece (mirror image) to match.


The patterns should look like this, paired up.

Glue in place, I used multi medium.

For those discerning people who notice immediately that my points do not match, do not despair, I learnt a very long time ago that these can be hidden!!!

And here I am sewing my Chevron, and at the same time covering up the mismatched points.


Mmmm... not too bad.



This Tulip is a  corner stamp from 'Our Daily Bread' I fussy cut one and left off the other.
It has been coloured up using water soluble oil pastels and then glossy accents applied.

Cut and decorate the Chevron to size and add some elements.

My friend gave me this gorgeous shell that she found on the beach, it is perfect here.



More stitching.



My stitched Chevron Card.

This exercise brought back mixed emotions for me as I was transported back to my quilting days, I used to spend hours piecing and cutting material, this took no time at all in comparison, but it was still very enjoyable.

Okay, so pop over and visit Quirks (Lisa)  HERE
and Mitza Pitza (Mitra)   HERE

Next week is our last Challenge in this exercise of reinventing and discovering our motivation, and it is a biggie.......stay tuned.

Have a great week 
Smiles:)
Sue

14 comments:

Mary J said...

Fantastic, Sue! I love how you made this card - very clever!

Tammy said...

Wonderful card and the rose is gorgeous! Fabulous combination!

Barb said...

Wow! I can't believe your created your own chevron pattern, Sue - so cool! And the way you colored that flower is STUNNING!! Gorgeous work, my friend! :)

Greta said...

You are so darn talented, Sue! Wow--what a piece of art you created--love it!

Buttons said...

Fabulous tutorial Sue and a great way of creating your chevron background. I thought it would be an overpowering background but actually you got the balance just right for me with that fabulously strong flower and your shell/lace trim. Another fantastic project. Hugs, Jenny x

Mitra Pratt said...

Now THAT is a fabulous idea on how to make a chevron! I am going to have to give that a try! Love the vibrant color of your flower! SO pretty! I can't believe our challenge is nearing the end! ;-(

Alie Hoogenboezem-de Vries said...

What a great idea...it looks amazing as background. Very creative Sue!

kind regards, Alie :-)

Vada said...

Well Miss Sue, this explains a lot! I had wonder for some time were you got your (eye) for color, size, and placement when composing your artwork. Now I know A QUILTER, well of course!!
I too at one time bent a needle or two into the mounds of wonderful cotton fabric and batting, backing to make that wonderful warming piece of family history.
Oh how I long for those days.. Needless to say, you’ve knocked this one out of the park!! Beautiful work on the Chevron Pattern and on paper no less!
Sorry to read this is your last challenge (for now), but I’m sure you will pop in and amaze us soon with another (Why didn’t I think of that challenge.)
Hugs Vada

butterfly said...

Gorgeous! I'd've been a massive fail on this - sewing and me don't get on... but your chevron card looks absolutely wonderful. Love the papers you've picked, and the flower and text in the final piece are just perfect. Can't wait for the finale!
Alison x

Rosemary said...

you make creating that chevron background look so easy, sue! me... I would have lost patience with the first sheet of glued strips and taken the easy way out... die cuts!! but the end result for you is another amazing piece of art. I just love the way the red tulip pops against the more muted background!

Ira Huberts said...

You make this look so easy, but my guess is is taking up quite some time to make those fine chevrons, love the effect! And wow, that beautiful red rose is remarkable! Hugs, Ira xox
irascreacorner.blogspot.nl

jeanie g said...

You really know how to make chevrons beautifully but I'm afraid my attempt ended up in the bin!! Love how you used them on your cars Sue. I've just been reading all your latest posts and I'm so glad I did, you have a very inspirational blog.

Lisa said...

Gorgeous Sue!! It all reminds me of the strip-piece quilting I have done, but much easier with paper! I will have to remember this for the future as it makes for a wonderful cared b/g :) XX

Lisa M said...

I have literally been a stalker on your blog for days. I think YOU have been the most inspiring person for me as of late with these projects. I feel as though I've come in dead last and that's okay, but as for the learning curve and the joy of seeing other's create, I have been on the top of the world looking at your art!!
This chevron piece is sensational. I did mine the exact same on the second card and I love how it comes together, but you my friend, went beyond the extra mile to add so much more to this beautiful piece.
I wish I was in person to tell you how amazing ALL of your projects have been. I was, am and will continue to be inspired by your creative endeavors, imagination, concepts, and designs.
This is in my TOP TOP favorites!!! Now I cannot wait to see the latest you've just posted too.
Big huge hugs to you my friend,
Quirks :D