May 26, 2013

A Conceptual Heart and something extra!

Hello Everyone.
I hope you are all having a great weekend, I am back to present my creation for the second  'Onion and Quirks' Challenge, first though, I want to thank you for the wonderful comments that you all so kindly left on our 'Colours and Fork' Challenge last week. It is a great feeling when you have such positive feedback.
We have an extra artistic person contributing this week; Mitra (Mitralee) she was very keen to join in, and being such generous souls that we are..... we let her!
So you will have another  amazing project to look at this week.

The Challenge: To use Metal.

I grabbed some Metal Shavings. 
                                                      And I decorated a Heart.

The Heart wall hanging is made with Plaster of Paris, using a cake mould.
I painted it up many times, and on each occasion I scraped it off, I think it took four attempts until I stuck with the Gold and Bronze Palette.
My intention was to take step by step photos, but it was pretty obvious that I had no clue where I was going with this palette, with no certainty of an end result.
So I gave up on the camera!!!!

I scattered some of the shavings in the paint on the Bg, and let it dry.
Then I squeezed a good dollop of Glue and Glossy Accents on the smaller centre Heart and tipped the shavings on top, then pressed down lightly, some of the pieces are very small, so I did have to manoeuvre the larger ones to the top, it was a difficult process as the darn things kept sticking to my forceps. (I needed the patience of Job.) Did I mention that these bits got everywhere except where I wanted them!
It took two days, as I had to let one layer dry completely before adding the other layer of metal elements.
I thought outside the box this week and did not play safe at all, I am so pleased with myself, that I could do this. I cannot wait to see what Lisa and Mitra have made, I know it is going to be way over the top, as the creative juices are flowing big time.

The heart could have been left as is, but as usual I went a step further and made up some Bg paper, crinkled it up and placed the whole piece of Artwork in a frame.
It now has a warmth  which conflicts with the hard and obscure metal shavings.
If you are into symbolism there is much to see in this piece.




 If you want to see Quirks project it is Here.
And Mitra's is Here.

If you got this far there is something extra as a surprise, I have to admit to having a mild (well not so mild) panic attack working with the shavings, I did not think they were going to stick together, so I made a back-up Tag while I was waiting for the glue to dry.
I was not convinced the darn things would stay together!!!

The substrate of my Tag is made by painting the Bg with Black Gesso, then applying utee and pressing a stamp into it before it dries.
Next apply perfect pearls.... heat to set.
The metal butterfly has been painted with Acrylics and iridescent Gold.





Next week we will be making a card!!! No more fantastical creations for awhile, I feel I have extended myself well beyond my imagination these past few weeks, and protracted long enough with these complex forms, so it will be back to my comfort zone for the next Challenge...
 I want to personally welcome my new followers, it is great to have you on board, I hope you receive some inspiration here.

Smiles:)
Sue


17 comments:

Barb said...

OH, MY GOODNESS, SUE!!! That framed heart is absolutely stunning! I want so much to touch it! Your mojo has returned with a BANG - (although I really never believed it had gone as far away as you thought it did.) Love your amazing tag too! I hope you truly know just how talented you are!

Tammy said...

So glad you stuck to it because the results are absolutely fantastic and the color palette is perfect! Fabulous creations!

Dawn Turley said...

my goodness Sue. I'm going to have to come and see this one for real. You have really step outside the box with this one. It is AMAZING to say the least. And the tag!!!!what can I say... it is stunning too.

Rosemary said...

you have done it once, again, sue... all the trouble you endured apply the metal pieces has paid off handsomely with another absolute masterpiece! I love that you decided to frame the heart with that beautiful background paper! and the tag?? stunning!!

Greta said...

2 amazing projects, Sue--no surprise to me! The heart is amazing--your patience was rewarded, big time! I do love that you added the background. The tag is way up there with my favorites--breathtaking!

Lisa M said...

As an observer, you know when it takes you nearly a day to formulate the words to describe what you're feeling, you have truly been observing art. I'm still not sure I can fully translate how this most amazing structure makes me feel. I'm leery to categorize my interpretation due to the fact that as I stare longer at it, a new and deeper meaning evolves. I think what excites me the most is knowing that while I'm over here tearing into cans, you're over there pouring PoP into a cake mold!! Hahahaha...LOVE THAT!! I have the utmost respect for your patience as I think of the multitude of seconds that tick by as you wait for the glue to dry, layer by layer. Incredible restraint on your part not to tamper (fully understand the making of the tag now..LOL!) I am beyond impressed with your metal art Onion. It's a showcase of your incredible artistic insight!! I would love to see a picture of these hanging on your wall. I cannot wait to hear what your family thinks about this one too. As for your tag, a bonus I was not expecting, but so pleased to find. On a much smaller scale, but with just as much grandiose inspiration. You have gone above and beyond my friend and I sincerely applaud your endeavors and thank you for feeding my soul with creativity and beauty!!
Hugs to you,
Quirks :)

Ira Huberts said...

You just come up with the most creative ideas Sue! Love this metal heart with such tiny details and fab colours! And your pretty tag has such wonderful textures, too! Hugs, Ira xox
irascreacorner.blogspot.nl

Mitra Pratt said...

oh man! I saw that baggie of metal shavings and got twitchy! This is my second visit, the first involved some deep breathing and scooping my eye balls back in their sockets. METAL SHAVINGS! No way! I was SO excited to see what you did with those and the paint treatment made me all happy! HOLY BEANERS!

And those little sprockets and whatnot you tucked in...I have a bag of those that have been scaring me for quite some time...never thought to pair the up with other metal bits...

KUDOS to you for something very awesome!

Mitra Pratt said...

Oh and your tag deserves it's own little comment, I LOVE IT! With its shimmer and color and the feel of it!

Alie Hoogenboezem-de Vries said...

What a unique heart and tag Susan...great results on both of them.

kind regards, Alie :-)

jasann said...

Just love this heart and tag! Thanks for sharing, they are just so beautiful!

butterfly said...

They're both absolutely stunning projects, Sue. I'm so thrilled that your adventurous inspiration with the shavings worked out - it's amazing; but I'm glad you were worried for a while, otherwise we wouldn't have that fabulous tag to admire too!!!
Alison x

Sandy said...

Do tell, where in the world does one get metal shavings. I do love your heart and your tag is gorgeous! I think you all make a good team and will obviously challenge each other to newer heights!!
Sandy

Mary J said...

OMG, these are amazing Sue! How can you make metal shavings look so fabulous!!!

Vada said...

Thank You Sue for stepping out of your comfort zone, and sharing your wonderful creations with us. I have loved each new challenge.
Hugs Vada

Margaret said...

Visiting from Lisa's (aka Quirks) blog and couldn't stop staring at the fabulous center of the heart! LOVE the mixture of size, shape, and texture of the pieces. Your creation is amazing!

Anita Houston said...

BRILLIANT!!! Pinning this tag! SO SO SO GORGEOUS!