I hope you are all having a great weekend, I am back to present my creation for the second 'Onion and Quirks' Challenge, first though, I want to thank you for the wonderful comments that you all so kindly left on our 'Colours and Fork' Challenge last week. It is a great feeling when you have such positive feedback.
We have an extra artistic person contributing this week; Mitra (Mitralee) she was very keen to join in, and being such generous souls that we are..... we let her!
So you will have another amazing project to look at this week.
The Challenge: To use Metal.
I grabbed some Metal Shavings.
The Heart wall hanging is made with Plaster of Paris, using a cake mould.
I painted it up many times, and on each occasion I scraped it off, I think it took four attempts until I stuck with the Gold and Bronze Palette.
My intention was to take step by step photos, but it was pretty obvious that I had no clue where I was going with this palette, with no certainty of an end result.
So I gave up on the camera!!!!
Then I squeezed a good dollop of Glue and Glossy Accents on the smaller centre Heart and tipped the shavings on top, then pressed down lightly, some of the pieces are very small, so I did have to manoeuvre the larger ones to the top, it was a difficult process as the darn things kept sticking to my forceps. (I needed the patience of Job.) Did I mention that these bits got everywhere except where I wanted them!
It took two days, as I had to let one layer dry completely before adding the other layer of metal elements.
The heart could have been left as is, but as usual I went a step further and made up some Bg paper, crinkled it up and placed the whole piece of Artwork in a frame.
It now has a warmth which conflicts with the hard and obscure metal shavings.
If you are into symbolism there is much to see in this piece.
If you want to see Quirks project it is Here.
And Mitra's is Here.
If you got this far there is something extra as a surprise, I have to admit to having a mild (well not so mild) panic attack working with the shavings, I did not think they were going to stick together, so I made a back-up Tag while I was waiting for the glue to dry.
I was not convinced the darn things would stay together!!!
The substrate of my Tag is made by painting the Bg with Black Gesso, then applying utee and pressing a stamp into it before it dries.
Next apply perfect pearls.... heat to set.
The metal butterfly has been painted with Acrylics and iridescent Gold.
Next week we will be making a card!!! No more fantastical creations for awhile, I feel I have extended myself well beyond my imagination these past few weeks, and protracted long enough with these complex forms, so it will be back to my comfort zone for the next Challenge...
I want to personally welcome my new followers, it is great to have you on board, I hope you receive some inspiration here.