Apr 5, 2013

Distress Paints Background and Tutorial.

Hello Everyone.
This is a long post!  But hang in there I think it is worth it.
 I have a wonderful Local Stamp/Scrapbooking Shop called 'Scotties' and last month they held a competition.... to make a creation using a technique/product from the shop, well I was in for this, as I had just purchased the distress paints and Wendy had demonstrated a technique on how to use them with a 3d Spellbinders Embossabilities.

I did not have the 3d type folder but I did have a m-bossability folder.
The distress paints I used were Frayed Burlap, Salty Ocean, and Broken China.

The first step was to brayer up my folder with these colours.
.
I dabbed them on my mat side by side, then used my brayer to ink the folder and run it through the e-bosser.

The result was NOT what I was expecting, I tried again, thinking I used the wrong side but the same thing happened, the paint was not transferring evenly, then I thought perhaps it was because I did not have the 3d Folder.
 I gave up on this technique, and instead I used the inked brayer directly ontop of the embossed card-stock.  Aha....this is the effect I was looking for.
Next step is to use distress inks 

It looks dark here because I took the photo immediately after inking, as you all know it does dry to a lighter shade.
 
I applied some antique linen randomly over the Bg.
Inking the lace.


I cut a frame on my cricut and inked up in the same hues, the bird was also inked up using distress stains and glossy accents applied.

The heart is cut out of corrugated cardboard.

And at last you see the completed card.
You will notice that I did not use the lace in my tutorial, I felt it was too heavy when I looked at the card, so I changed it to this one, which was inked the same way.
The photo does not do it justice I'm afraid.
Well you have done well if you have got to here, and now the good news I was a winner!!!!
Yes the girls at Scotties liked my efforts, so I would like to thank them again for choosing me and for the lovely prize; a stackable storage container for my card-stock and a wonderful selection of flowers).
Scotties has an on-line store if you want to have a browse.

Find us

I am entering this card into Simon Says Stamp Show Challenge -"Anything goes"

Thanks for looking, I appreciate all your wonderful comments.
Smiles:)
Sue

22 comments:

Brenda Brown said...

This looks fabulous Sue I love the colours, elements and textures. Thank you for sharing the techniques and process you used to achieve this beautiful outcome. The effects using the distress paints, inks and stains together are great and I would not have thought of using a brayer. I will have a go at this later as I have purchased some paints but not used them yet.
hugs Brenda xox

Buttons said...

Got to have a go at this Sue!! Love your ideas for creating this lovely background. You have embellished it beautifully too. Hugs, Jenny x

Dawn Turley said...

saw you had won Sue... Congratulations. Your card is just incredible with all its texture and colour. very impressive and well deserving of the win.

Joan said...

What a fabulous card Sue, love that you explained your technique so we can all have a play too. Don't have those paints but sure I could substitute something.Congrats on your win

Joan

Mary J said...

Congratulations! What a gorgeous card, Sue - really fabulous colours and thanks for sharing your technique -I gotta get more inky!

Lisa M said...

HOLY #$#@...it's GORGEOUS!!!! My goodness Onion, this card is dynamite. The tutorial was terrific and the outcome is unbelievable. The little glossed bird has so much detail and I am so happy for your win. That organizer sounds wonderful and flowers are always useful. I did have a little peek at the store and loved their supplies!!
Congratulations to you and I am so inspired by this latest creation of yours.
Just ordered my paints, so now I REALLY can't wait to play with them. :)
hugs,
Q

Barb said...

Woo, hoo! Congrats, Sue! It's a gorgeous card - wonderful tutorial too! :)

walchowDesign said...

Awww.... love the end result of the embossing with the distress stains - pity I don't have the stains but I will give a try with the ink pads instead. Thanks for the tutorial, Sue!

Yvonne Garner said...

Thanks for sharing Sue. Got my paints last week nd till trying to experiment! A beautiful piece, indeed. Have a great weekend.

Jann said...

An absolutely beautiful card!

Evelyn S. said...

Oh, it's wonderful, Sue! I just might try the technique....I haven't even opened one of the paints yet.

Sandra said...

Thank you for that great tutorial! Love your card! It's really pretty. Thank you so much for joining us at Simon Says Stamp and Show. Hugs, Sandra

Lisa said...

You put so much time and love into your work Sue :) This turned out beautifully!! XX

Ira Huberts said...

A superb looking card Sue, your background is gorgeous, with the nice shades of blue and gold, gives it a nice vintage feel! Hugs, Ira xox
irascreacorner.blogspot.nl

Anita Houston said...

Sue Sue Sue...look at you!!! WOW!!! A tutorial and an amazing gorgeous Distress Paint card to boot! I'm in awe! Fabulous background...love that you embossed. I need to try this! Awesome! Thank you for sharing with our anything goes challenge this week at Simon Says Stamp & Show...no joke!!!

GrammySue's Creations said...

Hi Sue
Your card is absolutely stunning--love your results. It feels good to be back to making cards again. I know I have been gone a long time. Thanks for your encouraging comments that you left on my blog. I will try to be around more often. Hugs to you.

butterfly said...

Absolutely lovely, and a great step by step - thanks so much fro sharing it!
Alison x

Diane said...

Love how this turned out....might have to invest in some of those distress paints and give it a try...and congrats on your win at the store!!

Greta said...

Wow, wow, wow! Totally deserved to win, Sue--this is just amazing! Your creativity is so inspiring. I finally bought some Gesso this week, so now have to go back & read some posts where you used it. By the way, I agree with the change to the other lace--wonderful touch! Have a great trip, my friend.

Margie said...

So glad I popped over and saw this tutorial! Your card is amazing and I have bookmarked your tutorial so I can have a play with my paints - thanks so much for all the details. Hugs, Margie

Lynn Stevens said...

Now that's what I call a Gorgeous Happy accident. Great tutorial with stunning results!
hugs Lynn.

Leanne ... said...
This comment has been removed by the author.