Mar 2, 2013

A card with a Fabric Flower..

Hello Everyone,
I love making flowers, and today I have made one out of some dyed fabric.
This week at Our Creative Corner, the meritorious Meihsia is our hostess and she has provided an inspirational photo and with the instruction to include a fabric flower and a crown on your project.
I have provided a little tutorial on how it was constructed as I thought you may like to try this out yourself.
First though this is what I had to work from:

And this is my card:
I attempted to re-create the palette of the torso,  so I used the TH metallics (stains) in Pewter and Antique Bronze to create the Bg, with the intention of picking up the warmth and soft feel of the flowers.
Keeping within the light to mid tones, the muted hues have been 'grayed-down' to project a dusky and complex nature.
The embellishments are a mix of lace, burlap, a pin, bling, crinkle ribbon, plus you will notice round objects, these are buttons which have been altered with utee and distress powders.
(You can click on the picture for a more detailed look.)
The Tattered Florals die-cut flower was made with stained crinoline.
The fabric flower is in the centre, and this is how I made it.....


Dye up some calico in distress stains.
Rip a strip, not too wide and fold over.


Use a tool to to wrap around, then place on top of glued cardstock.
You may find it easier to use a glue gun if you are dextrous and nimble fingered, I am not and I have glue everywhere but where I need it, so I find this way is easier for me.

I made a few for future projects!

We would love you to join in this week, there are more fabric beauties that my teamies have made here.

  Have a great weekend, 
Smiles:)
Sue

12 comments:

Brenda Brown said...

A beautifully shabby flower Sue. The muted colours of the background and the splash of colour is so attractive and the step by step you have provided is great to see how you constructed it all. TFS.
Enjoy the weekend.
Hugs Brenda xxx

Dawn Turley said...

What a fabulous flower Sue. And I love the silver embossed background... thanks for sharing how you did your rolled centre. It is fabulous.

Mary J said...

That's so beautiful, Sue! Those flowers are magnificent - thx for sharing!

Buttons said...

LOVE this Sue. So well designed and superbly crafted. Hugs, Jenny x

Rita said...

This is Stunning, your flowers just took my breath away Sue. The colours are fabulous. Hugs Rita xx

Lisa M said...

You nearly blew me out of my chair when you started with recreating the torso! What a great idea to really start with the base of the inspirational photo. Love the curve of the hip on your card and your muted pastels look fabulous on here and I really love your handmade rolled flowers.
Beautiful card Onion!
hugs,
Quirks

Meihsia Liu said...

Wow.. the flowers are fantastic and your tutorial is awesome! Sue. I love your gorgeous card and the flower is such a great accent! ^_^

Rosemary said...

stunning flower and card, sue! your tutorial on making the flowers is fabulous... may have to give it a try!

Greta said...

Jaw hit the floor this time, Sue! The background embossed piece is wonderful in & of itself (think I need some Distress Stains!), but then your flower just takes the cake! How in the world did you get blue burlap?! By the way, I agree with you about glue guns. I love the lace flower I finally made after seeing your instructions, so may get up my courage to try this. Don't even know what to say about the altered buttons except you are one talented lady!

Evelyn S. said...

I probably won't try fabric flowers, although that blue beauty is a great temptation! This card is so classy in its beauty, Sue.

Anita Houston said...

Another gorgeous flower make! Love those twists and turns to make these! The metal is fab, and love the added crown!

Lili said...

Wow Sue, gorgeous flowers! Your card is awesome. Love all the details.
Hugs :)