Jan 12, 2013

A little Shabby delight.

 Hello everyone,
 I am slowly returning to some sort of routine  re- crafting since Christmas, I have been languishing in a state of lamentable lethargy, and I am hoping it will not last much longer. 

This week's challenge at Our Creative Corner has created some enthusiasm within me  I am pleased to say.
Sharon is our hostess, and she has set the theme Shabby chic, this was music to my ears,  metaphorically speaking, because I love this genre.
'Shabby Chic' style is generally characterized by a time-worn look achieved by inking and distressing.  There are layers of softness achieved by the use of ribbon, lace, and crochet trim.
Feminine embellishments are such items as buttons, pearls, glitter to name  a  few.

 I decided to go with a shaped card, with a muted pink patterned paper, I diecut  two ovals and edged them in Victorian velvet  Distress inks.
 I hand-stitched around the edges.











Next I made up my spray of flowers,  in a mix of Prima and handmade, I also made some paper twirls.
 I wanted my flower arrangement to be the main focus on this card, so I limited myself to using medium to small flowers.
I edged some of the flowers in Victorian velvet, added the pink lace and also white organza lace, and to complete the card for the shabby chic effect, I added the pearl embellishments. 
You can click on the photos for a close-up look at the details.















I kept this card purposely understated, as I thought it would appeal to the card makers who find  this category  a little out of their comfort zone.
It is not too complicated, and if you break it down, you will see that it has only three layers, with a bunch of flowers..... pretty basic, and within the bounds and capability of most of you to attain.
All that you require is a little flair and pizzaz!
 

So please join us this week at Our Creative Corner,  my teamies  have out done themselves, and you will be suitably inspired by what they have created.
So take a minute and pop over to the blog.





Have a great weekend,
Smiles :-)
Sue

16 comments:

Brenda Brown said...

A fabulous shabby chic card Sue, the pink and white is perfect as are the gorgeous flowers. Very pretty.
Have a great weekend.
Hugs Brenda xox

Sue - bearhouse said...

This is stunning. I love the colours and gorgeous design

Sue

Buttons said...

This is beautiful Sue. I'm not usually a girly girl but the layering and lace on this are a real treat for the eyes. Thanks for sharing, hugs Jenny x

Mary J said...

wow, I am lovin' this design, Sue! Such gorgeous detail and the pink lace with the pearls are beautiful!

Barb said...

It's a beauty, Sue! Love the soft colors and your gorgeous flowers!

Rosemary said...

shabby chic perfection as only you can do, sue!! the spray of flowers is just gorgeous!!

Meihsia Liu said...

Such a stunning piece of art work. Love the beautiful shape and perfect stitching. All the embellishments and details are awesome!!! :)

Sharon said...

Sue, I know you said that this card only has three layers and a bunch of flowers. But, what a gorgeous piece! I love the strips of lace you added! the swirl of pearls peeking out below the 'bunch of flowers' really adds alot of 'wow'!
great card, and I'm sure our followers will be inspired by this shaped card. hugs, sharon w.
p.s. I know you said it's understated, but this shaped card is just gorgeous! love the pinks. {smile}.

Evelyn S. said...

I think this is a wonderful way to get back into the "swing of things," Sue! Beautiful use of all the "chic" details on a fabulous "shabby" card! (Or should it be "shabby" details on a "chic" card??)

Dawn Turley said...

This challenge is just perfect for you Sue and your rose to the challenge with your enviable charm. What a delight. I love your shabby chic cards. Might even be tempted myself!

butterfly said...

So pretty... the flowers and lace are just delicious!
Alison x

Ira Huberts said...

Shabby chic perfection Sue! Lovely flower arrangement and the stitches are such a fab adornment, too! Hugs, Ira xox
irascreacorner.blogspot.nl

walchowDesign said...

Your shabby chic always impressed me, Sue! This is so sweet! I just can't make anything shabby at all but I love your encouragement to those who are out of this comfort zone.

Greta said...

Gorgeous, creative work, as always, but this is up at the top for me--Love it, Sue! I need to practice doing a flower bouquet as they don't seem to go together like yours here. The hand-stitching, laces, color pink (of course--my favorite!) all make me just want to sit & stare at this card!

Lisa M said...

OMG..another card I just want to roll around in. ;) I've been to your page NUMEROUS times this weekend and I wanted to state something that fits poignantly to this shabby bliss, but words eluded me. I think I relate your cards to a dream where you take a moment in your hectic life and drift off to a beautiful place where calmness and tranquility exist. Your card did that for me. The close-up pictures really sent me overboard on the sensory side. The softness of all your elements and that handmade special and unique to only you comes shining through. Your stitching is always amazing and you truly are the queen of Shabby Chic. :)
Hope you have a wonderful and creative week and now I'm so excited to go visit your newest post!
hugs to you my friend,
Quirks

Lili said...

Wow Sue! Gorgeous card! My eyes go around and around to see what I like the most and let me tell you that it is everything, the bg, the stitching, the pearls , the flowers and every single detail is amazing.
Hugs :)