Nov 10, 2012

Making your own Background.

Mixed Media
 
 Watercolour.

For my mixed media card, I sprayed a selection of inks onto some card-stock.

   Next I added Gesso, stencils, masking tape, tissue paper and stamps.
Once this is completely dry, choose preferred embossing folder and run through your machine.
OMG- is this not scrumptious?
  

If you are happy with your Bg at this stage,  all you need to complete your project is to embellish at will and as you can see I have used poppies, which I have fussy-cut and popped up onto the side of my card. It was not necessary to doodle around the frame, but I was in the 'moment' and it was hard for me to stop! (typical I hear you say!)


 Finished card.

The technique I use for my watercolour Bg is as follows, but you will notice that it is not my sample card, but it was made the same way.

Apply your water colours liberally, and let them dry.
Here my Watercolour paints are wet, when they air dry the result is much lighter; something to remember when applying your paints first up, you can always add more later but you will get a different pattern.  I often use a paper towel to dry off really wet areas, it is fun to see the effects this leaves on the bg.
  
Now you have a choice, you can use stencils and stamps, or emboss.


Here I have added a stencil swirl and more Gesso then dry embossed.

Now this is ready to be embellished and made into a card.

Some more samples:
Mixed-Media

Here I have used Alcohol Inks and Silver mixatives then dry embossed.

20 comments:

Greta said...

Hi Sue--your backgrounds are so gorgeous--you do inspire me & maybe I will try it. My alcohol inks are never used & I hadn't thought of embossing over them. Your mixed media is amazing, but think I better stick to the watercolors or alcohol inks since I don't have you to sit here & guide me. Enjoy your weekend!

Caroline said...

Hi Sue these backgrounds are gorgeous I love the colours. Caroline xxx

Sue - bearhouse said...

WOW!!! These are stunning. I love the colours and gorgeous textures

Sue

Dawn said...

Great tutorials Sue. Having seen how you do your backgrounds in real life, I can attest they are fabulous. These ones are just awesome. Missed you at group today... there were only three of us... Me, Glenda and Betty plus Jill. Judi called in towards 4.00ish. Does not look good at all!

Mary J said...

Amazing work as usual Sue! I bet you always have a bit of paint stuck under your nails!!

Linda w said...

Wonderful backgrounds, great tute thanks. I'm a new follower. Hugs lin

Paula-Scrap Addict said...

love how to took us step-by-step on your creating this wonderful card! I LOVE the first one.... really really LOVE it, what a great work of art!

GrammySue's Creations said...

Hi Sue, your backgrounds are gorgeous and I love the results. Thanks for sharing the tutorials. Hope that you are well. Take care and hugs to you.

Joan said...

Wow, gorgeous backgrounds, love them all but the first one is my very very favourite , so rich and colourful

Joan

Rosemary said...

you do so inspire with your gorgeous backgrounds, sue! i love the second card with the watercolored one... hugs and smiles!

die amelie said...

These backgrounds (and the tutorials) are awesome, Sue!!!

Thanks for sharing the How To too!!! This is absolutely inspiring for someone like me, that loves to get messy ;)

LOVE!!!

Hugs,
Claudia xx

Ira Huberts said...

Gosh Sue, you just always come up with the neatest DIY backgrounds! So very creative! How lovely to show all these different effects, just amazing! Hugs, Ira x
irascreacorner.blogspot.nl

Meihsia Liu said...

Wow...Sue, these are great examples for the challenge. Love what you've created. Simply awesome! ... :)

susanne said...

Beautiful!!

MarcyK924 said...

Awesome tutorials, Sue! BRILLIANT cards! I sure had fun with it myself! Your creativity is endless, my friend! XO

Evelyn S. said...

How fun! Love both of your creations, particularly when I can see them up close. For the finished cards, I prefer the watercolored one---it's just dreamy and fascinating! When I saw the challenge, I thought of the technique I refer to as the "Australian background," because I first saw a similar background in Australian Crafts magazine a few years ago. Your tutorials are fabulous, Sue. I want to try the watercolor one soon.

Buttons said...

Two fabulous tutorials for the price of one here Sue! Love them both. Not sure which option I'll take yet... Hugs, Buttons x

Lisa M said...

I feel like I really let you down on this challenge Onion, but there might be some hope for me after your fantastic tutorial and inspirational pieces! I am fortunate enough to have some of them in my own home and I am slowly but surely learning. You are certainly the Queen of this style of crafting and I honestly enjoyed the challenge VERY much. Your cards are so incredibly different in style and "undefined" and I love the freedom of this genre, even though I think that's what stumped me the most...no order! LOL Thank you so much for a truly learning challenge and your beautiful contributions to admire :)
hugs to you,
Quirks

butterfly said...

Totally scrumptious, Sue - ALL the backgrounds are!! What a wealth of inspiration and technical tips... the embossed collage work is amazing - what a fantastic technique. Can't wait to give it a go - though I'll have to be patient, as I can't get to my BigShot for at least three weeks... aagh! Thank you so much for all the inspiration, and for a fabulous challenge!
Alison x

Lili said...

Wow Sue! What a wonderful job! I love creating backgrounds too, I think that that personalizes the card or your project even more. Thanks for the fun challenge.
Hugs;)