I have a little tutorial on how I went about making this so read on.......
I wanted to create as much texture as I could possible muster, using different mediums.....but keeping in mind the form and composition of my piece.
The flower and leaves are made from card-stock. Behind the flower is some material, netting, ribbon, twirly wire and organza rose and if you have a keen eye there is a paua shell surreptitiously placed within the leaves.
The edges I frayed, then I stitched, stamped a few images which are very subtle and then finally, embossed the cloth.
This was my practise run, you will notice the different colours, I was not sure how it was going to turn out, or even work!
I used Acrylics and painted the Calico which I had washed in hot water to remove the sizing, I dried it a little using an iron and card-stock, thinking the colour would transfer, and it did!!!
I continued to iron my painted cloth, making a sandwich of paper-cloth-paper, until it was dry
Now the real messy part,
I painted my embossing folder with Gesso, and ran it through the machine and magic happened!!!! I loved this effect.
But oh my God I had Gesso everywhere, it had squeezed out of the folder onto my plates and desk. I applied too much!
Needless to say it was a fast track to the sink and a cloth to remove said mess as quickly as possible.
Second time around I used some scrap paper.
So take note if you try this, you do not need much Gesso.
I have been thinking about this technique since finishing this card.
And I am wondering if it would be less messy to apply the Gesso directly onto my material, dry it off then emboss.
May have to try it to see how different it looks.
Let me know if you give this a go, I would love to see your efforts.