Jun 28, 2012

Creating Texture with Mixed Media

I used fabric (Calico) for my substrate, and went through the process of painting the material, stamping the images, embossing and adding elements.

I have a little tutorial on how I went about making this so read on.......

I wanted to create as much texture as I could possible muster, using different mediums.....but keeping in mind the form and composition of my piece.
The flower and leaves are made from card-stock. Behind the flower is some material, netting, ribbon, twirly wire and organza rose and if you have a keen eye there is a paua shell surreptitiously placed within the leaves.








The edges I frayed, then I stitched, stamped a few images which are very subtle and then finally, embossed the cloth.

This is how I achieved the effect
This was my practise run, you will notice the different colours, I was not sure how it was going to turn out, or even work!
I used Acrylics and painted the Calico which I had washed in hot water to remove the sizing, I dried it a little using an iron and card-stock, thinking the colour would transfer, and it did!!!


I continued to iron my painted cloth, making a sandwich of paper-cloth-paper, until it was dry






Now the real messy part,
I painted my embossing folder with Gesso, and ran it through the machine and magic happened!!!! I loved this effect.

 
But oh my God I had Gesso everywhere, it had squeezed out of the folder onto my plates and desk. I applied too much!
Needless to say it was a fast track to the sink and a cloth to remove said mess as quickly as possible. 
Second time around I used some scrap paper. 
So take note if you try this, you do not need much Gesso.



Post script:
I have been thinking about this technique since finishing this card.
And I am wondering if it would be less messy to apply the Gesso directly onto my material,  dry it off then emboss.
May have to try it to see how different it looks.
Let me know if you give this a go, I would love to see your efforts.

15 comments:

Barb said...

Some day, I have GOT TO watch you create! This is amazing, Sue! Beautiful texture and colors! :)

Caroline said...

Hi Sue this is gorgeous love the colours and the flower is stunning. Caroline xxx

Cheryl said...

oh wow Sue this is gorgeous oh the detail is simply stunning all the layers are just amazing,and love that flower,brilliant hugs Cherylxxxx

Rita said...

What a great technique Sue. Like you I have always loved calico. This sounds like fun, but I will watch the gesso overload. Smiles. Hugs from Scotland. Rita xxx

Mynnette said...

Oh my word, this is stunning! LOVE this--so gorgeous! I will have to try that technique some time! AMAZING! :)

Dawn said...

what a great technique Sue. Certainly beautiful texture. Your flower, your background, all that lovely lace and netting, every thing is just wonderful. Sue in her element!

Lisa M said...

Hahahahaha....now I don't feel so silly about the crayons and iron! :D) I wish you could have seen the size of my eyeballs when I read about gesso...THAT is classic Onion creativity. What a great idea and I'm so glad you left the "go sparingly" warning. My eyes aren't what they used to be, but is that the shell in the very center of your lavish flower?
A texturally tantalizing treat you've designed here Onion. Kudos and yet another high five!
Quirks

Lisa M said...

Doh...Found it!!! :)

Rosemary said...

hello sue!! what an amazing project! you never cease to amaze me with your amazing creativity! this is absolutely beautiful!!

Anita Houston said...

Fabulous Sue...just fabulous! Love that Gesso technique! Your soft colors are wonderful as well, and the stitching...yummy! Thank you so much for playing along with us at Frilly & Funkie this fortnight!

Linda Coughlin, the funkie junkie said...

Holy moly, Sue, this is totally amazing. Really really fabulous piece of work. The gesso is a stroke of genius and I don't think you would get such cool results by applying it to the fabric first - I really like the way it looks the way you did it here but I would be afraid I would have gesso oozing down into cracks and crevices in the embossing machine. Love the frayed edges and the stitching. You really rocked this one, my friend!

Hugs,
Linda

Sue C said...

Gorgeous piece Sue ! I love the how you've created your texture and painting the material and embossing it is not on my list of things to do ! Thanks so much for sharing your work with us at Frilly and Funkie. Sue C x

Greta said...

My jaw is on the floor! Wow--finest example of texture I think I've ever seen, Sue! I'm in love with the effect you got embossing the Gesso. May just have to try it--maybe dry first like you said. I bet you're adding this to your "when I need inspiration" place in your craft room.

Nicecrane Designs said...

Wowwww love the finished textured,,,,you are really so creative,,,,,

Kate said...

Wow, lovely texture. I would never would have thought to use gesso with an embossing folder. Next on my list of 'to do's'.
Thanks for sharing the process!
Kate