May 12, 2012

Mama bird a-nesting

Hello my Friends,

I cannot remember the last time I followed a sketch, but what I do remember is that when I started blogging I entered all the Sketch Challenges.... I don't think I was successful in any of them, mainly because I did not always conform to the requirements, typical me always had to change something.
In fact I would make the excuse that we 'Artists' had a certain amount of Artistic licence, and that it should not be restricted.....
Now how hubris and egotistical does that sound! 
All I can say in my defence is that I was a neophyte.
Well  'Our Creative Corner Challenge' this week is......

Yes you've guessed it..... 'A Sketch.'
Create a Card/Project using the sketch above.
 Meritorious Meihsia Liu ( Simply Paper Crafts)  is our hostess this week.

So I'm thinking hell sorry I mean heck seeing as I am now a Dt I had better do this right, otherwise I am going to get a tongue -lashing for not complying to the Challenge requirements.
So here is my card followed to the letter, I even remembered to add the Bow!

 
 I first made a scalloped oval out of painted card stock then used my white pen around the edge, the top layer is SB 'Floral Ovals' and frayed burlap has been applied to this edge.  









 
 Glossy Accents applied to the sentiment.






You can just pick up the gold metallic paint  in this photo.
The little bird has been cut from the Pp and Glossy Accents applied, the branch and leaf has also been cut out and placed on top with distressed embossing powder, to add some texture, along with the fuzzy looking yarn for the nest, I placed a white pearl inside to resemble an egg!







To complete the card, a Pink lace trim was adhered, oh nearly forgot there is zig zag stitching on the first layer.

Would you like to see some more interpretations of this sketch, I am sure you would, then just pop over to the Blog here
and your wish will be fulfilled.







Have a most enjoyable weekend.
Smiles:)
Sue


21 comments:

cardcreationsnz said...

Pretty card. A great take on the sketch. Love the bird.

Lisa M said...

Should I applaud you first for the gorgeous die cuts or the intricate bird with so many patterns or the fuzzy green interpretation of a nest with an 'egg' no less or the selected areas of glossing? Choices, choices, choices. Since my grandfather nicknamed me Bird, I'm rather partial to ANY card containing such feather friends, but your card is yet another Onion masterpiece. LOVE how you embraced the sketch and yet it still has your trademark on it! Beautiful card Sue. :)
Hugs to you,
Quirks

Lisa M said...

And were it to arrive at my house in the lovely month of September, would be purely coincidental... ;)

Dawn said...

What a stunner Sue. Good to catch up today. This card has so many wonderful elements.... makes the sketch come alive. Well done my friend for sticking so religiously to the sketch.

Rosemary said...

oh sue! your card is just lovely and a wonderful interpretation of the sketch that should earn you nothing but praise! sometimes following the rules isn't such a bad thing, ha! but i do love it when you "push the limits"!! smiles!!

Brenda Brown said...

I love how you have interpreted the sketch Sue and the fact that it is still Sue-style. Gorgeous colours and distressed to perfection.
Hope your weekend is good.
hugs {brenda} xox

susanne said...

This is so beautiful Sue .. I just adore birds and nests and this card is just gorgeous! I love it! Happy Mother's Day Sue! Susanne

susanne said...

This is so beautiful Sue .. I just adore birds and nests and this card is just gorgeous! I love it! Happy Mother's Day Sue! Susanne

Sharon said...

Sue, let me applaud you on your honesty for not always following the sketch. (lets face it, there are sketches out there, that are 'interesting').
I'm glad that you followed the sketch, because I'm afraid that we would have missed that gorgeous bird of yours or the fabulous nest (complete with an egg). I think the glossy accents really pop the bird and give her a presence! I love the pattern paper you chose, too! It's 'homey' like the nest, and the chip board piece really adds some mother-ness to the card.
LOVE IT!
have a wonderful weekend, hugs, sharon w.

pooky said...

Hi Sue! Love your card. The colors are my fave..and that little birs is perfect! Tfs!

walchowDesign said...

You always make me smile with your story, Sue! Love all the elements on this card especially your artistic thinking of putting an "egg" in the birdnest! How creative could that be!

Anita Houston said...

I think this is so gorgeous~~~~ love love love your nest and egg...talk about brilliant creativity! I might steal that idea! The bits of gold on this really caught my eye...fab idea! Love the bird and the dimension on her. Just gorgeous work all around!

Anne Marie Hile said...

Sue, I so enjoy reading your posts! I say there is nothing wrong with being a "conformist" when you create something so lovely! Ha! Your card is so soft and serene and I love all of the wonderful details you added, especially the golden frame. Hope you had a fabulous Mother's Day! Hugs! :)

GrammySue's Creations said...

Hi Sue, Your card is gorgeous, stunning, and elegant--Beautifully done. Hope that your Mother's Day was awesome. Have a wonderful week. Hugs to you.

Barb said...

What a lovely and delicate card, luv your attention to detail !
Hugs,
Barb

Meihsia Liu said...

Hi, Sue, it's hard for me to follow a sketch, too. LOL.... There are so many fantastic details on your card. I just love it!!!

penny4thoughts said...

Hi Sue! I love your little bird card! The glossy accents in parts really makes those elements stand out. Great job with the sketch - I 've rarely tried a sketch challenge, but find I always have to take a bit of artistic license with them too ;-)

Tui Nathan said...

Such a fabulous card Sue ...how gorgeous is that wee bird all shiny and pretty ... love too the sweet lil nest and the beautiful lace trim ... as always Sue ... your card is a delight to eye!!!

Mary J said...

Gorgeous Sue! The shimmer and layout are beautiful as is that bird and and sweet use of the pin!

Sophie said...

Was für eine fantastische Arbeit.
Ich bin begeistert.
Der ganze Blog ist sehenswert, und gibt mir viel Inspiration.
Dankeschön :-)
Nun bin ich dein Fan...

Liebe Grüße

Kim x said...

Fabulous card Sue. I love all of the little details.
I love following sketches but like you I sometimes find it hard not to put my spin on them.
Thanks for stopping by and for your lovely comments.
Hugs Kimx