May 19, 2012

A little Vintage card.

Hello my Friends


I love working with-in this genre.
It is not true vintage as you can observe, there is some shabby-chic included.
 (can't help myself)

Today 'Our Creative Corner' hostess Meihsia Liu has provided an Inspirational Photo for us to work from.
The first colour that captures your attention is the hot friendly Orange; it is gregarious  and vivid, the negative association to bright Orange is that it is loud, but it also radiates warmth and vitality, it is a tactile colour; you so want to touch it.
In this Photo you are soothed by the soft light, glistening on cool sheets; pure and lightweight, it surprisingly has a wistful feel, I say this because White is seen as a cold colour and sometimes sterile.
The balanced mixture of both warm and cool colours, always blend beautifully, this Orange has to be toned down for a card, as the softer shades are pleasing to the sophisticated eye.
So with this blueprint in mind, I made my card.

I ignored the Orange immediately, it is not an easy colour to work with, as some of you may soon find out!

The Rose was made first, and I tinted the edges with Faber-Castell 'Orange glaze'  PITT pen.
My intention at this point, was that this was my total  contribution to the Orange.





A little burlap and brown ribbon on my soft wistful image and I was finished, or so I thought.........
....But as you can observe I added the Monarch, as soon as it sat up there the card just sang; not literally, my cards do not suddenly burst into song!
I was forced into adding extra Orange, because the card did not have good composition or form otherwise...... simple really. 














Once more I would love you to pay a visit Here to our diverse and talented Dt's at OCC, and see how they have interpreted the photo.

















Next week it is MY turn to be Hostess, no prizes for guessing what the genre will be!!!!!
Have a great week 
Smiles:)
Sue


15 comments:

Mary J said...

So gorgeous Sue! You are the queen of shabby chic and love that you've created this fresh vintage card!

Cheryl said...

oh sue Hun this is just gorgeous the image is super the layout and detail is just first class love this too bits,hugs Cheryl xxxxx

Dawn said...

You certainly are in your element Sue. As perfectly executed vintage/shabby chic card. Your flower with it's touch of orange sets off the butterfly in the opposite corner. Just Lovely.

Brenda Brown said...

I always love how you express yourself with words and art. This is a beautiful card and I can see where the inspiration comes from. Your use of colour, your eye for design and the elements you have used has produced a card that is very pleasing on the eye and draws you right into the image. I love it.
Have a great weekend.
xox

Rosemary said...

i love that you brought in the orange in just bits and pieces, sue! the effect is much more striking that just a big blob of the color... as is always the case, your card is beautiful! i'm excited to read that you will be hosting the challenge next week. think i will have to play along!

Tui Nathan said...

Your cards always fill me with awe Sue, and this one is no exception .... love all your added elements, gorgeous texture and beautiful images ... so so lovely!!!

Greta said...

Lovely work of art, Sue! You're so talented at putting elements together. I admire you!

Kim Dellow said...

Oh that is just lovely. Gorgeous details. Kim

Lisa M said...

WHAT!!! Your cards don't sing??? I may have to reconcider my adoration for your work as I have always assumed they composed ballads of exquisite nature. Hmmmm... ;) Well, if this is true, which I still doubt, I'm dumbfounded with this beaut. Odd that the one thing you tried desperately to avoid is the one thing I continue to be attracted to...the orange. It's sensational and the balance by adding the butterfly, perfect. :) I see why you did that...it completes it beautifully.

hugs to you Onion,
Q
I look forward to you hosting!!

Vicki B. said...

This is just drop dead gorgeous Sue!! Love all the wonderful details, I just keep going back and staring!!

Linda Coughlin, the funkie junkie said...

Oooh, just love the shabby feel you have going here, but surprisingly, I would have liked you to step up the orange a bit. Maybe it's because I went so overboard with orange on mine that I want to justify my choice by having everyone have a overload of orange - LOL. Love the white burlap and the charming vintage fairy image. And yes, that butterfly is the perfect finisher! Super sweet card, as always Sue.

Hugs,
Linda

Anne Marie Hile said...

Sue, this is absolutely lovely! I wish I could see this one in person, because I am willing to bet that the photos do not do the dimension and detail on this one justice. I'm not convinced your cards do not randomly burst into song either...because you really made this color inspiration SING! Just gorgeous! Hope you enjoyed your weekend! Hugs sent your way! :)

Anita Houston said...

The butterfly and the rose add mounds of gorgeousness here with the orange! Your texture is amazing as well...love the burlap! What a fab design...a real stunner itself!!!

Meihsia Liu said...

Wow...Sue, this card is amazing!The flower, butterfly and images and all elements are all so gorgeous!!

MarcyK924 said...

Sue, not only is this card amazing, but I LOVE your post! SO well composed, my friend! I am such a huge fan of your cards and this one SINGS to me!! Hugs, Marcy