Mar 24, 2012

Sending you a Postcard from.....

Hello Everyone and Haere mai (Welcome)

 I am sending you a Postcard from Aotearoa (also known as New Zealand).


I live in NZ,  and Rob and I have regular short breaks within this beautiful country, it is a great place to relax and unwind and enjoy what it has to offer; which is an abundance of friendly natives; such as myself, and great scenery and food, we must have good food!



The first item on the agenda is to learn about our Native bird 'The Kiwi'; a national symbol. Now you understand why we homo sapiens in NZ are known as Kiwis.
Secondly, the colour Blue, it represents our coastline that borders the Tasman Sea and the Pacific Ocean, so it can be rugged and sheltered.









The Silver Fern.
NZ is the home of the most beautiful Fern in the World.
The Koru  represents the unfurled new leaf, the Maori word and meaning is 'Beginning of Life.' 

The element that is sitting on top of the ferns is a Paua Shell, (a shell fish) once again unique to New Zealand. 
If you like Abalone then you will love Paua. 
The colourful shell is used to make jewellery and souvenirs.
       





Have a wonderful weekend.
Smiles:)

18 comments:

Dawn said...

Wow Sue... this represents New Zealand beautifully... so many pretty elements. And you describe everything so well.

Cheryl said...

oh wow Sue this is one, brilliant post card gosh love the wonderful detail on this its so effective,hugs Cherylxxx

Kirsten Alicia said...

That's so lovely!!!

Anita Houston said...

What a fantastic New Zealand rep!!! I love the fern and kiwi, and the glitter is a wonderful touch!

Sharon said...

Sue, WOW! I love it! Your card screams New Zealand! I love how you added elements to your card, to showcase this beautiful destination! Great job!
I hope your weekend is good. hugs, sharon w.

Vicki B. said...

Super cute and what a great representation of New Zealand!!! Love your attention to detail!

Carla S. said...

Beautiful representation of New Zealand, Sue! So many great elements, perfectly combined!

Meihsia Liu said...

Wow...what a beautiful card. I really wish I were there.

Lisa M said...

I feel a bit awkward now, Onion. I shall think twice before announcing, "Anyone want kiwi in their fruit salad?"
As I stated on the OCC blog, I feel like I've taken the most wonderful mini vacation. The human occupants of my home have taken a vote and we would most certainly pick NZ first! No rush to clean the spare room up just yet, I still have to pack!!
Your card is lavish and full of wonder and as much as I love a pretty sunflower, I'd much rather be observing fern.
Thank you so much for the insight to your beautiful home and card.
Quirks :)

Barb said...

Wow, Sue! You've put so much thought and care into creating this amazing postcard! Beautifully done, my friend! JUST LOVE IT!!

MarcyK924 said...

I AM SOOOO IMPRESSED! I want to come visit!! Maybe we can have that Flickr Group gathering at your place, LOL!!! This card is FABULOUS, with every detail a story! It all comes together and really paints a stunning picture! Sue this is BRILLIANT! Hugs, my kiwi friend!

Greta said...

Well, the Tourist Board should pay you, my friend! You've convinced me I want to come to New Zealand! Your creation is gorgeous & incredibly creative--truly a work of art!

Holly Kean said...

Sue, I love that you decided to stick with a true vacation love - your home country! I think the best part is that you've included all the elements that make NZ great to you in your card. Great idea! Have a great week! -Holly

Rosemary said...

well... i think i agree with greta, sue! the new zealand tourist board should have you on the payroll because your card is an absolutely outstnding piece of kiwi advertisement! each and every detail is perfectly placed as only you can do!!

Linda Coughlin, the funkie junkie said...

What an amazing tribute to NZ you have packed into one small card! I love that you pulled so many elements that you love about your country and represented them in your artwork. You definitely ROCKED this challenge - I love every single detail.

Hugs,
Linda

Tui Nathan said...

Tino pai - ataahua!
Absolutely fantastic Sue ... You have truly captured NZ in all it's glory ... I love all the elements for they are in essence NZ. Congratulations .... You definitely nailed this challenge spectacularly!!,

cardcreationsnz said...

A beautiful card. I love the way you have included different aspects of New Zealand.

walchowDesign said...

Amazing handmade postcard from NZ! Love all the elements and explanations on your card which represent your country, Sue!